Why a wee God?

Because we fancy him far off in the cosmic distance. And because we prefer him to be like us. He takes on a form that is manageable, even malleable. Our imaginations aren't expanded, as God intended, by his mind-bending self-revelation in the Scriptures, particularly through his Son, Jesus the Messiah, whom he raised from the dead on Easter.

God is the ultimate reality. He is immanent in and beyond the universe, and yet transcendent at once. He who sustains matter and mind simply IS. The loving and all-powerful God will not be remade and defined in your own image. Be transformed as you renew your mind - breathe in His spirit and truth.


Sunday, January 11, 2009

"Three Dollars Worth of God"

This poem by Ken Holland entitled "Three Dollars Worth of God" causes me to wince a bit. Lord, help me say "Yes, Lord. Whatever you have for me, I am your slave, you are my master!"

I would like to buy three dollars worth of God, please.
I would like to try just a little of the Lord.
Not enough to explode my soul..or disturb my sleep.
Not enough to take control of my life;
I'll keep just enough to equal a cup of warm milk.
Just enough to ease some of the pain from my guilt.

I would like to buy three dollars worth of God, please.
I would like to find a love that's pocket-sized.
Not enough to make me love everyone...
Not enough to change my heart.
I can only stand just enough to take to church when I have the time,
Just enough to equal a snooze in the sunshine.

I want ecstasy, not transformation...
I want the warmth of the womb, but not a new birth.
I would like to purchase a pound of the eternal
In a paper sack guaranteed or money back.

You see, I would like to buy three dollars worth of God, please...
I would like to hide some for a rainy day.
Not enough to make people see a change in me,
Not enough to impose responsibility...
Just enough to make church folks think I'm ok.
Just enough to exhibit once a week on Sunday.

I would like to buy three dollars worth of God, please.

Hat tip: Travis Wigington

No comments:

Post a Comment